Poetry and Images from a Christian

Thursday, October 17, 2013

God With Us

In this world we will have troubles; I am no exception to the rule. But I have found Jesus to be so faithful in walking with me. The poem below is about a fleeting experience, but  I have had many longer lasting troubles wherein He was/is just as faithful, just as kind and good, even when I was/am sometimes quite impatient.


They Call Him "God With Us"

It was a necessary medical procedure
Fraught with pain,
And I was caught in it
For long moments
Until the work was done.
No husband could stand beside me,
No mother or father
Or sister there;
No numbing,
No anesthesia applied.
With whispered voice
I called my Jesus,
Who fills all space and time.
Already there,
He laid His words upon my mind,
A chant, a focus point,
"I will never leave you, nor forsake you.
I will never leave you, nor forsake you."
My hand I moved to brush at tears
And gently stroke my brow.
"Again, " He said, "Again."
After hesitating, I complied.
And so the motion I repeated
And in His words and touch co-mingled
I lingered,
In pain, but comforted,
And, not alone,
Until the need had ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment